*CORRECTION & APOLOGY* I am so sorry to you and to Senator Eric Schmitt for misrepresenting his position on HB466. Senator Schmitt’s office tells me that he has no intention of filibustering this bill. He went on to say that he agrees in principle with the bill’s intent and may actually support it, depending on the language.
Please accept my apology and help me make it right. Please call or write Senator Schmitt’s office (below) and tell him Thank You. Thanks for letting HB466 come to a vote, thanks for remaining open to supporting the bill, and thanks for graciously accepting Hennessy’s apology for jumping the gun.
How would you feel if your employer took money from your paycheck and gave it to a candidate you despised or an issue you opposed?
I’d be outraged if someone used my money for their political ends.
The Missouri House is set to pass HB 466—a bill that would allow Missouri workers to decline participation in their unions’ political activities.
Yes, that’s right. Currently, union workers are required to give their wages to candidates and causes they personally oppose.
HB 466 would right a terrible, un-America wrong.
The problem is that two Republican Senators say they intend to filibuster the bill when it gets to the Senate.
Does it make sense to that a politician of any party would oppose your right to support the candidates and causes of your choice?
Let’s help these two State Senators understand that we will not have our money pried from our wallets for causes we oppose.
Call or email these gentlemen RIGHT NOW and politely tell them: Do not filibuster or threaten to filibuster HB 466 in the Senate.
5 Follow Ups:
1. After you call or email, go to twitter and facebook and post, “I asked #MO Senators Schmitt and Engler to let the senate decide HB466 http://bit.ly/g0zc9D”
2. Ask 5 friends to call, email, tweet, and post just like you did.
3. Come back to this page and comment on what you’ve done.
4. If the Senators comply, support them. Send a thank you note via email, and this note on twitter and facebook: “Thank you, Senator [name] for letting the Senate decide to protect #MO workers’ rights”
5. If either or both Senators continues to threaten to filibuster, stand by.
Remember, it’s not enough to criticize when a politician does wrong. We need to thank and support them when they do right. They are, after all, people.
*UPDATE* I heard that Sen. Schmitt’s assistant seemed very surprised to hear about our concern. I’d love to announce that I was wrong about my concern, and I will if Senator Schmitt announces he has no intention of filibustering.